Writing Skills for PR and CommunicationRegister Now
This course is presented online in three parts.
The course will be run via Zoom at the following times:
- Part one: Wednesday 19 August, 9.30am - 11.30am
- Part two: Thursday 20 August, 9.30am - 11.30am
- Part three: Friday 21 August, 9.30am - 11.00am
Please note all three sessions are part of the same course so participants must attend all three sessions.
The way we write has evolved, the way we read has changed and the way we use language has altered for good. Increasingly we want pictures and video rather than text and we’re more likely to see our stories peppered with emoji rather than perfectly punctuated prose.
So do we still need the written word in today’s visual and virtual worlds? Yes we do – but we need to approach it in a different way. This workshop is designed to help practitioners write with confidence for the many communication channels now in daily use as well as practical advice on how to deal with the blurred lines that now exist between the written and spoken word.
We must still provide effective written content for mainstream news media, the web, status updates or the next big CEO speech. This session will help you to meet those demands.
During a packed and practical day, delegates will cover:
- What's the story - how to get to the heart of what’s going on
- Famous Five - engage readers with your first five words
- Wise words – ways to approach news, web, social content, emails, speeches and reports
- Season with style - how to adapt your tone and style at speed and still make sense
- Interest and intrigue - how to keep your readers with you to the end
- Chop and change - how to keep your copy concise and your ideas clear
- Headline hacking - how to craft headlines that draw your readers closer
- Developed understanding of different writing styles
- Review and understanding of basic principles
- Developed understanding of structure, speed and clarity
- Improved understanding of varying channel demands
Who should attend?
The session is designed for anyone who wants to refresh and improve their writing skills in our rapidly changing world of words.
Catherine Arrow, LPRINZ, FCIPR, Founding Chartered Public Relations Practitioner
Catherine Arrow is an international public relations consultant and educator. She heads PR Knowledge Hub Ltd, a learning and development centre for public relations and communication professionals delivering online and face-to-face training.
A PRINZ Life member, a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations and a Founding Chartered Public Relations Practitioner, Catherine serves on the Global Alliance Advisory Council following eight years of service as board member and secretary of the Global Alliance for Public Relations and Communication Management.
Alongside her training and consultancy work, she lectures and speaks about public relations in New Zealand and around the world. Recent publications include a chapter on future public relations practice in the CIPR book, ‘Lessons from Expert Practitioners’. Her career spans the Northern and Southern Hemispheres and, in 2012, was presented with the PRINZ President’s Award for exemplary contribution to the profession.
This course content aligns with the communication capabilities section of the Global Capability Framework with particular emphasis on this summary:
- To align communication strategies with organisational purpose and values
- To identify and address communication problems proactively
- To conduct formative and evaluative research to underpin communication strategies and tactics
- To communicate effectively across a full range of platforms and technologies.
This course has a minimum number requirement, so please book early to ensure the course is not cancelled. If you are booking travel or accommodation, please check with the office first that the course is taking place.
Please be aware of PRINZ payment and cancellation policy.
A student priced ticket to PRINZ courses is sometimes available at a cost of $200 plus GST. Please email the office if you are a student member and would like to attend this course.