Measurement and Evaluation for Communications
Online registrations are now closed. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to come along.
As a public relations professional you add immense value to organisations, communities and causes. The question though is, how do you demonstrate this value in measurable terms?
The ability to measure and evaluate the effectiveness of public relations activities is globally acknowledged as a core component of our professional practice and considered crucial to showcasing its value. It includes conducting robust research, setting measurable benchmarks, and using valid methods and metrics to measure results.
In this session you will learn how to clearly demonstrate the value of your public relations activities in terms of achieving not just communication outcomes but also organisational results.
The session will share recent knowledge, best practice and tools as well as guide you through the process through hands-on exercises. You will also apply these learnings to your own organisational context.
- Get In-the-know: understand globally accepted models and metrics.
- Get going: learn how to set SMART objectives that clearly define benchmarks for organisational impact, communication outcomes and outputs.
- Get savvy: get familiar with the tools and techniques that help monitor progress and measure success (including online dashboards)
- Get ahead: apply learnings to your own public relations context
- Understanding of current and globally accepted standards of research, measurement and evaluation for public relations.
- Knowledge of tools and techniques that can aid in your measurement and reporting process.
- Ability to create a measurement and evaluation framework that suits your public relations context.
This course content aligns with the communication capabilities section of the Global Capability Framework with particular emphasis on this summary:
- To align communication strategies with organisational purpose and values
- To identify and address communication problems proactively
- To conduct formative and evaluative research to underpin communication strategies and tactics
- To communicate effectively across a full range of platforms and technologies
Lecturer, Public Relations, Auckland University of Technology
Deepti Bhargava is a public relations lecturer at Auckland University of Technology (AUT), teaching across various papers including the student led PR consultancy – Outside the Square. She has a keen research interest in examining cultural and diversity concerns; application of measurement, evaluation and reflection; and public relations pedagogy.
Deepti is an Accredited Member of PRINZ. Prior to joining AUT, she worked in corporate communications at Unitec Institute of Technology. Her role included the governance, planning, implementation and evaluation of online communications. In her prior life overseas, she has also worked across advertising and feature writing.
Deepti is currently pursuing a Ph.D. research on the occupational culture of New Zealand’s public relations consultancies.
This course has a minimum number requirement, so please book early to ensure the course is not cancelled. If you are booking travel or accommodation, please check with the office first that the course is taking place.
Please be aware of PRINZ payment and cancellation policy.
A student priced ticket to PRINZ courses is sometimes available for PRINZ student members. Please email the office if you are a student member and would like to attend this course.