Issues and Crisis Management
This course is sold out. If you would like to go on the waiting list please email email@example.com.
This one-day workshop balances both the theory and practice involved in identifying and managing issues and crisis situations.
The course will enable you to understand appropriate actions before, during and after a major incident as well as provide strategies around communications planning and practical guidance on working with the media and broader aspects of communication in times of crisis.
- What is issues and crisis management?
- Identifying your organisation’s risk profile and potential issues/crises
- Preparing for a potential crisis
- Managing communications during a crisis - the role of the PR professional / communications advisor
strategies and responses
- Identifying key stakeholders and creating appropriate messages
- Recognising which channels to use, how, and when
- Understanding the need for speed, accuracy and co-ordination of response, both online and offline.
- Practical exercises using real and hypothetical scenarios towards formulating or revising a crisis communications plan for your own organisation
- Extensive reference to real-life case studies
- Shared experience and knowledge of fellow professionals through facilitated discussion
Who should attend?
This course will benefit anyone who is expected to deal with communications at the time of a major incident, either on behalf of their organisation or clients, or is responsible for managing the public reputation of an organisation.
- Understand what issues and crisis management is
- Recognise and analyse potential risks/issues/ crises in your organisation
- Understand the principles of issues and crisis communications planning and management
- Define your audiences and channels of communication
- Devise effective and appropriate response strategies
- Develop practical plans to prepare for managing an issue or crisis
Presenter: Julien Leys, Chief Executive, Building Industry Federation of New Zealand
Julien has over 23 years’ communications experience working in both the private and public sectors.
Following completion of a First-Class Master’s Degree in Law, Julien was appointed as the legal and political adviser to the Minister of Local Government in New Zealand’s first MMP Parliament.
After senior positions with leading communications agencies, Julien established an award-winning consultancy PR Partners which he ran for 10 years. In 2014 PR Partners was merged with Trans-Tasman consultancy SenateSHJ where Julien was the General Manager and a senior Partner until March 2019.
Julien is a specialist in crisis and issues management, media relations, and government relations. He has extensive experience in assisting major clients with complex issues as well as successfully managing crises across the pharmaceutical, transport, public utility, labour hire, technology and food / hospitality sectors.
He also has extensive experience working with the building and construction sector and was appointed as the Chief Executive of the Building Industry Federation in 2019. Julien is also the Executive Director of the Construction Strategy Group.
In 2019 Julien also established Pendulum Strategies as a boutique communications consultancy with a discrete client list including a major energy company, the Government of a Pacific Island nation, and a major transport business.
Julien is a Fellow of the Public Relations Institute of New Zealand (FPRINZ).
This course content aligns with the communication capabilities section of the Global Capability Framework with particular emphasis on this summary:
Professional Capabilities (those expected of any professional)
- To provide valued counsel and be a trusted advisor
- To offer organisational leadership
- To work within an ethical framework on behalf of the organisation, in line with professional and societal expectations
- To develop self and others, including continuing professional learning.
This course has a minimum number requirement, so please book early to ensure the course is not cancelled. If you are booking travel or accommodation, please check with the office first that the course is taking place.
Please be aware of PRINZ payment and cancellation policy.
A student priced ticket to PRINZ courses is sometimes available at a cost of $175 plus GST. Please email the office if you are a student member and would like to attend this course.